Thursday, September 13, 2012

Why is Writing Important?

I have chosen to go into a career in health sciences for now, although I am somewhat undecided with what exactly I want to do. Writing and communication will be very useful, especially with something in the medical field because you are constantly going to be dealing with people and you need to be able to learn how to communicate with them effectively and also use writing to be more successful. Most of the writing you would have to do in a career in health sciences is having to write up someone's medical chart. It is crucial to make sure that you have proper writing skills along with grammar, and also be able to differentiate between the different words and abbreviations that are used in health care. It won’t be a lot of writing, but you still need to learn how to properly communicate with your patients, the family members of your patients, and also your fellow colleagues. My writing skills could always use some improvement, whether it's punctuation or incorporating more sophisticated words into my writing. Being misunderstood in a health care profession could potentially be life threatening. You have to make sure that what you write is clear, precise, and to the point. I've definitely been misunderstood before. Sometimes I don't convey what I'm thinking properly and what I say, ends up coming out the wrong way. For the people who I am really close to, they understand me perfectly and get what I'm trying to say even without really having to say anything.



No comments:

Post a Comment